From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should Council members be pillars of the community?
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 20:36:23
1 On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:47:17PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Here's another question for the nominees.
5 >
6 > Back when I was on the Council, there was a time that I've been
7 > approached that my behavior is not appropriate for a public Gentoo
8 > representative, even if the comments in question had nothing to do with
9 > the Council matters.
10 >
11 > Today, I would like to ask: do you think that Council members should
12 > lead the community by example? Should their reputation be untainted,
13 > should they be able to withhold their anger even when they believe they
14 > have reasons enough to attack others? Should they not participate
15 > in flames, unless only to extinguish them?
18 I don't believe anyone should *attack* others. As far as being a "pillar
19 of the community" let us remember that each of us are human. We have
20 faults, but overall individuals should strive to lead by example. If
21 they are in the wrong then they should take responsibility. If they
22 wronged someone else then they should make that apology to them.
23
24 > Is it considered acceptable that a nominee for election calls other
25 > developers inhumane or delusional on the public mailing lists? Is it
26 > good that he throws false accusations without verifying them?
29 Of course not, but again we are human and we often let things get the
30 best of us. The appropriate course of action here is to right that
31 wrong... some will and some won't.
32
33 > Is it fine that yet another nominee runs an election campaign focused
34 > on attacking other developers, and apparently trying to get votes
35 > by finding 'a common enemy'?
36 >
37 > Should such people become the public faces of Gentoo? Or should they
38 > maybe be professional enough to withdraw their candidacy after
39 > discrediting themselves in the middle of election?
42 A choice to remove oneself from the election is purely up to that
43 individual. Should the circumstances be significant enough (and without
44 going over "what if's?") then they should absolutely do so.
45
46 "to err is human..."
49 Cheers,
50 Aaron