From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 15:54:03
1 On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/06/2011 04:33 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
4 >> wrote:
5 >>> I never said to completely drop these arches. When did I say that?
6 >>> I just want a more realistic approach on how well an arch is
7 >>> supported. Why you people are afraid to admit that we have
8 >>> problems? Having an arch with constantly >200 stabilization bugs
9 >>> open clearly proves that the manpower cannot handle the situation.
10 >>
11 >> I think it's important to put some numbers on this.
12 >>
13 >> x86              80      2      13 amd64            40      1      7
14 >
15 > This is just hilarious :) The numbers of developers are not even close
16 > to reality
17
18 Same situation with the rest of the architectures, really.
19
20 >> The only architecture that is seriously backlogged in ppc, which is
21 >> probably due to the fact that we used to have lots of users. Just a
22 >> couple of weeks ago, ppc64 was in the same situation, until
23 >> xarthisius
24 >
25 > What if xarthisius, armin76, me and jer take 3 months off? What an evil
26 > scenario :). The problem is when an architecture relies on a *single*
27 > (or max 2) developers. You can't possibly claim that this architecture
28 > is supported. You have a single/double point of failure. They can easily
29 > retire someday or even lose their motivation. And then what? It would be
30 > far too late to act
31
32 We're in pretty bad shape if that happens.
33
34 We do have http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/dev-machines.xml
35
36 Maintainers could help arch teams greatly by giving their package a
37 quick test build on the development boxes. Not sure that's really an
38 acceptable solution though.
39
40 I wonder if we can't set up an automated system where a package
41 maintainer goes to a webpage and enters the package they'd like to
42 submit for a keyword request. The page would display the requirements
43 for each architecture, and the maintainer could then start a test
44 build that would run on the development boxes in a testing chroot, and
45 then give the results back to the maintainer. That would certainly
46 make the situation simpler for everyone.
47
48 Maybe that's deserving of a separation thread.
49
50 Matt