From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 15:34:36
On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
> I never said to completely drop these arches. When did I say that? I > just want a more realistic approach on how well an arch is supported. > Why you people are afraid to admit that we have problems? Having an arch > with constantly >200 stabilization bugs open clearly proves that the > manpower cannot handle the situation.
I think it's important to put some numbers on this. total stable keyword developers alpha 72 51 12 3 arm 69 22 18 5 hppa 103 71 13 4 (really 2) ia64 73 45 20 2 mips 21 0 5 6 (wtf?) ppc 233 171 29 5 ppc64 80 37 24 3 sparc 110 63 27 3 x86 80 2 13 amd64 40 1 7 The only architecture that is seriously backlogged in ppc, which is probably due to the fact that we used to have lots of users. Just a couple of weeks ago, ppc64 was in the same situation, until xarthisius went on a stabilization/keywording spree. So it's definitely possible to reduce this to a reasonable level, but I think ppc should probably consider dropping some keywords. hppa is higher than some others because hppa/linux in general isn't very stable. sparc is above 100 because armin76 does all the keywording by himself (I think?). I actually gave up long ago on my idea of stabilizing mips. It's an impossible task to do by yourself. Maybe one day if mips becomes a more common architecture. On alpha, we (mostly armin76) drop keywords pretty regularly when we get a stabilization request for a package we've never heard of, and I'd think other architectures do the same. The architecture teams know what they can and can't support. Matt