From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 06:50:35
1 [Replying to gentoo-project only.]
2
3 >>>>> On Mon, 25 Jun 2018, Greg KH wrote:
4
5 > On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 02:35:41PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 >> After five days, I have received only 13 replies from developers,
7 >> and it seems impossible to draw any conclusion from such a small
8 >> number. (Especially, does the absense of an answer imply that the
9 >> person doesn't care and would therefore also not sign the CLA? Not
10 >> sure.)
11 >>
12 >> Crossposting to -core now for a wider audience, at least amongst
13 >> devs. Developers and other contributors, please reply.
14
15 > As I stated before privately, I think this is a horrid idea. You
16 > are creating yet-another-development-process that anyone who is
17 > employed by _ANY_ company is going to have to go and get their
18 > employer's permission to do so.
19
20 > That means, at the least, lots of billable lawyer hours, and at the
21 > worse, lots of people not being able to contribute.
22
23 > And while I haven't really done any Gentoo work in many years, it
24 > _will_ prevent me from doing any future work.
25
26 Please read the whole thread. We have dropped the FLA/CLA in the
27 latest iteration. Also even in the previous versions it was meant to
28 be voluntary, i.e. devs were "welcome and encouraged (but *not*
29 required)" to sign it.
30
31 > And again, as I previously stated, "forking" the DCO is a horrible
32 > idea,
33
34 Has there ever been a wider review of the Linux DCO? If not, then it
35 is not surprising if it fits the needs of kernel development only
36 (which is very homogeneous, license wise), but not necessarily other
37 projects.
38
39 > and doing it by not getting legal review of such changes is an even
40 > worse idea.
41
42 > Would you want a medical doctor to write a legal document? If not,
43 > why would you want a programmer to do so?
44
45 Are you saying that the DCO is so complicated that all devs will need
46 a lawyer, in order to understand what they are certifying? Then we are
47 doing something fundamentally wrong.
48
49 Ulrich