From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:02:49
1 On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 07:15:57PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 08-11-2012 11:45:48 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > > - approve/disapprove removal of gen_usr_ldscript
4 > >
5 > > A better way to put this is disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux.
6 > > Some of the alternate platforms still use it, so I do not advocate
7 > > killing the function.
8 > > If we go forward with the plan, there is no reason the council should
9 > > reject disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux that I am aware of.
10 > >
11 > > This also has to wait until the blockers are resolved on the tracker.
12 >
13 > Do you suggest to drop the point from the agenda? I'd love that.
14
15 I believe we can drop the gen_usr_ldscript question, yes, because if
16 everything else happens, we can just have the toolchain guys make it a
17 noop on Linux.
18
19 > > > - define timeframe
20 > > > * 30 days
21 > > > * 6 months
22 > > > * 1 year
23 > >
24 > > Once the blockers are done and we release a news item, implementing
25 > > one of the choices is a matter of emerging a package, possibly running a
26 > > command (genkernel with the appropriate options) and updating your boot
27 > > loader configuration before your next reboot.
28 > >
29 > > Considering that we are holding back stabilizations of more and more
30 > > packages the longer we wait, is it really a good idea to extend the time
31 > > frame to 6 months or a year?
32 >
33 > Yes. I don't think it is reasonable to have a very short timeframe for
34 > having to make such a potentially dangerous change.
35
36 I agree that this is a potentially dangerous change. However, I don't think it
37 is reasonable for us to penalize stable users by making them wait a year for
38 newer software because we are waiting to make sure that those who have
39 a separate mount for /usr make a change that we can't make for them
40 automatically.
41
42 I would be ok with going a little longer than 30 days, but 6 months or
43 a year might be a bit extreme.
44
45 I guess I'm just thinking that no matter how long we wait, there is
46 going to be someone out there who isn't going to follow our directions.
47
48 William