From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 20:10:03
1 On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 14:52 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 2:04 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 14:00 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:39 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > > Hello,
8 > > > >
9 > > > > After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to
10 > > > > start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's
11 > >
12 > > more
13 > > > > like Sunrise but with some automation in mind.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch,
16 > > > > and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from
17 > > > > private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid
18 > > > > depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e.
19 > > > > public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev.
20 > > > >
21 > > >
22 > > > I'm looking for more information on the private branch. What is it a
23 > >
24 > > branch
25 > > > of?
26 > > >
27 > > > Like what I might expect is:
28 > > >
29 > > > repo - master # this is the public branch users use
30 > > > repo - <literally thousands of other branches> These are the in-progress
31 > >
32 > > or
33 > > > stale PRs.
34 > > >
35 > > > When review is complete, repo - somebranch is merged into repo - master.
36 > > >
37 > > > Is this what you are proposing?
38 > > >
39 > >
40 > > No. As I said, I'm proposing a Sunrise-layout layout.
41 > >
42 > > dev -- branch which contributors use to work on their ebuilds.
43 > >
44 > > reviewed -- branch which users use.
45 > >
46 > > When commits are reviewed, fast-forward merges are done from dev
47 > > to reviewed.
50 > I think my thoughts were around where CI would go. Does CI happen
51 > post-commit on reviewed? Or does it matter for the PR that is the FF merge
52 > between dev and reviewed, and the FF merge is not committed until CI passes?
55 I suppose we enable CI on both branches, and block merges if CI on dev
56 is red.
59 Best regards,
60 Michał Górny