From: lnxg33k <lnxg33k@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Improving developer/user communication
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:52:28
1 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Well, i'm not sure if this list is working because I have not yet
3 > recieved any emails from it but...
4
5 It works, but no traffic to speak of yet.
6
7 > What ideas do people have for improving relations?
8
9 As for user's getting help, I've never had any problems between IRC, MLs,
10 bugzilla, and the forums. The problem is, not everyone knows how or wants to
11 experience all of those mediums.
12
13 As for actual dev/user communication, I find it rather difficult to discuss
14 topics with a developer due to protocol issues. For example, bugzilla is great
15 for getting involved in the gentoo project and getting direct feedback from a
16 dev. However, there is no real documentation giving background information on
17 how one should conduct themselves on bugzilla; therefore, I never feel overly
18 comfortable contributing there and feel a bit offset when a "WONTFIX" shows up
19 (getting over this as I have learned why/when this might be used). I know
20 others have felt the same way.
21
22 Forums take a while for people to get in the "proper" mindset and the same goes
23 for MLs although they are documented rather will (old netiquette articles). IRC
24 ... is well, IRC and is another story all together. The point being, the
25 average user doesn't have good access to the devs simply due to their lack of
26 competency (I don't mean this in a negative way) for a specific communication
27 medium.
28
29 I don't know what all the above implies, but to say that I've never had a
30 significant issue getting help from a dev and that I'm not an average user.
31 There probably isn't anything the gentoo community can do other than be
32 tolerant of improper attempts at getting help and try to point them in the
33 right direction (which, I believe, happens already for the most part). Note
34 that asking for help is only a small part of communication and I can't speak
35 for that however I assume that the same would apply.
36
37 As for documentation regarding users joining the gentoo project beyond that of
38 a user role (ie: ATs, developers through quizes) ... the documentation could
39 use a lot of work with regards to clarity and organization. This isn't active
40 communication between a user and dev, but this information helps to inform
41 users of the process that goes on behind the curtain and therefore gives a
42 better understanding of how to conduct themselves and pose questions. This is a
43 bit beyond what was originally asked, but I think it's still an important
44 aspect of dev/user communication even if it is passive.
45
46 Hopefully the above was on topic and somewhat clear.
47 --
48 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list