From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council nominations
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:39:50
1 Please pardon any threading irregularities. I wasn't on the -project
2 list when the nomination email went out.
3
4 > On 2013-06-16 05:40, hasufell wrote:
5 I nominate in addition to the already mentioned ones:
6
7 Brian Dolbec (dolsen)
8
9 Thank You, after pondering it over this past week, I accept.
10
11 And strangely enough, with my wife's blessing :D
12
13 hmm, as for a manifesto...
14
15 Well, I'm not a young whipper snapper fresh out of/or still in
16 university. I am old enough to be a father to most gentoo devs. So, by
17 that nature, I hope to bring some age related wisdom to the decision
18 making.
19
20 Overall, I consider myself to be generalist. I specialize in few
21 things, but hold a decent understanding of a great many things. It is my
22 ability to catch on quickly to concepts and apply or relate to them
23 elsewhere that I can bring to the council to help in decision making.
24 I've done some coding professionally, and much more here for gentoo. I
25 am a refrigeration/heating technician by trade, so the time I spend in
26 computer rooms, data centers is tending to their cooling needs. I have
27 a wife and 2 daughters (28 & 14 yrs. old), dogs, cats, fish,...
28
29 I joined gentoo as a user back in 2002 and have not gone to any other
30 distro since. I've been working on porthole's coding since it's near
31 beginnings (sadly, it's been neglected this past few years), I have been
32 helping/mentoring with gentoo's GSOC involvement and students since
33 2010. I became a staffer in 2011, and full developer in 2012.
34
35 For those of you that don't know, I've been involved in many of the
36 tools you use to maintain your gentoo system. I am the maintainer of
37 some as well as their upstream and/or contributor.
38
39 app-portage/porthole, upstream & maintainer
40
41 app-portage/gpytage, contributor, maintainer
42
43 app-portage/gentoolkit
44 (python based tools only) equery api rewrites, enalyze, new
45 python based revdep-rebuild {api advice}, eclean re-write.
46
47 app-portage/layman, 2.0 rewrite, current upstream/maintainer
48
49 sys-apps/portage, various code chunks refactoring, api improvements,
50 public api, emaint rewrite
51
52 app-portage/mirrorselect recent re-write & update
53
54 app-portage/esearch the 1.0 rewrite
55
56 dev-python/pyGPG,
57 A new python interface to running gnupg, under development.
58
59 gentoo-keys
60 New project under development for managing gentoo gpg release
61 and developer keys, for both users and infra machines. It will
62 also be used in verifying git commits for the upcoming git
63 migration. Users will use it for verifying gentoo release
64 media, layman's soon to be gpg signed repositories.xml list,
65 etc..
66
67 dev-util/catalyst
68 Current rewrite being done, to eliminate hard coded paths,
69 restructure the code base, bring the code up to date, etc..
70
71 sys-apps/pkgcore,
72 Testing, api involvement for porthole's pkgcore backend.
73 ...
76 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>