From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] dipper.gentoo.org hardware failure impacts: rsync, releases, distfiles, blogs, project webhosting (& VM temporary outage)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 21:36:38
1 Hi everybody,
2
3 The hardware of dipper.gentoo.org has failed unexpectedly.
4
5 The following services are impacted:
6 - primary rsync mirror data generation (git to rsync)
7 - primary hosting of releases
8 - primary hosting of distfiles
9 - blogs database
10 - project website hosting
11
12 Root cause on the failure seems to be Dell motherboard well past
13 warranty, so we're going to recover any remaining data from it, and then
14 move the services to somewhere else.
15
16 We're specing out new hardware to buy as a permanent replacement for
17 dipper, and we have a short-term plan that's being put into action.
18
19 As the quickest path, I'm temporarily taking the following VMs offline:
20 devbox.amd64.dev.gentoo.org
21 roverlay.dev.gentoo.org
22 tinderbox.amd64.dev.gentoo.org
23
24 Then the dipper disks will be added to the VM host that had these VMs.
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
29 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
31 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136