From: David Abbott <dabbott@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 03:03:13
1 On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon
2 <chainsaw@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 22:05 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> chainsaw
5 >
6 > Thank you Ulrich. I accept.
7 >
8 > My manifest for this election follows:
9 >
10 > I am a firm believer in the UNIX philosophy of multiple interlocking
11 > small components. Each only performs a very specific, small task and
12 > does that job very well. This is well suited to an open source
13 > environment, where a maintainer has "scratched an itch", found his/her
14 > niche and takes pride in the smooth running of their individual gear[1]
15 > in the bigger machine.
16 > In my day job, I depend on these UNIX machines and have trained people
17 > in carefully replacing these gears as the machines run. It has become
18 > apparent that this way of life is under threat, and I would like to
19 > protect it.
20 >
21 > There is a push to pull all of the gears out of my UNIX machine and
22 > replace it with a harmonic drive[2]. I am told that it has less play and
23 > higher torque, and with only one component it is much easier to maintain
24 > if I only forget all I know about UNIX machines, throw all our custom
25 > gear sets away and retrain my staff in strain wave gearing instead.
26 > I am sorry to have to point out that we have invested significant effort
27 > in getting our gear shufflers to the level they are today, and that we
28 > depend on our lovingly hand-crafted gear ratios to get us the
29 > performance that we require. Reducing us down to exactly three gears[3]
30 > may make a harmonic drive conversion a lot easier, but our ideal speed
31 > happens to be reached on four right now!
32 >
33 > [1] program
34 > [2] systemd
35 > [3] /usr merge
36 >
37 > Regards,
38 > Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon
39 >
40 > P.S. You are most welcome to join me on IRC or e-mail me privately about
41 > my strong yet controversial opinions. However, I hope that you recognise
42 > yourself in the story above. Whether you make gears, (re)place them or
43 > simply depend on the output of a UNIX machine...
44
45 The Council election nomination status page [1] is up if you want to
46 stay informed. Their manifest / platform is linked to their real name.
47
48 Regards,
49 David
50