From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:53:15
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > The Council is elected by the members of the community holding a
3 > @gentoo.org email address.  Thats a very small subset of the Gentoo
4 > community ... but maybe we should open voting to the entire Gentoo
5 > community ?
6 >
7 > There are practical problems with that of course.
8
9 My main concern with that is that ultimately it is the developers that
10 make Gentoo go, and the focus of the Council tends to be on the
11 governance of the developers anyway.
12
13 If all of the devs want to do thing, and all of the users want to do
14 something else, then in the end the distro will end up going with the
15 devs, one way or another. The only way volunteer projects go anywhere
16 is for volunteers to do the work. You can't really give orders to
17 volunteers, but you can inspire them to follow through example.
18
19 That isn't to say that devs are the only ones who do anything for
20 Gentoo - there are staff who aren't devs, and I'm fine with them being
21 members of the Foundation. The Council tends to stay focused on
22 matters that deal with the developers, so self-oversight is probably
23 fine.
24
25 I do hear what you're getting at though. It sounds good to me in an
26 ideal world, but I am concerned that it might not work well in
27 practice.
28
29 > I see the council members as officers of the Foundation, not directors
30 > of the Foundation. The two roles are different and should be spilt.
31
32 Well, that's the whole two-headed monster bit. They're not really
33 officers or directors of the Foundation, and "Gentoo" the distro and
34 Gentoo the Foundation aren't actually the same entity by our odd
35 organizational design. Maybe you could call the Council the
36 leadership of the employee union. :)
37
38 Long term it wouldn't hurt to change this. Short-term I'd like to let
39 the Trustees continue to focus on getting the Foundation itself in
40 better shape.
41
42 Rich