From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Sam James <sam@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items for upcoming council meeting (2022-05-08)
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 13:45:24
1 On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 9:27 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The argument goes like this [1]:
4 > "Adding the Signed-off-by trailer to a patch should be a conscious act
5 > and means that you certify you have the rights to submit this work under
6 > the same open source license."
7 >
8 > It's not a conscious act if a tool does it automatically in its default
9 > configuration.
10
11 Sure, but nobody in this thread has suggested that it ought to. This
12 is about what happens if the user fails to perform the conscious act,
13 not whether it ought to be conscious.
14
15 > We also have a precedent: Repoman required setting the SIGNED_OFF_BY
16 > variable in make.conf before it would add the line to commits. I'm not
17 > aware of any major problems caused by this.
18
19 There is zero chance of any major problems being caused with any of
20 the options being discussed here so far (aborting, warning, or no
21 warning when not signing a commit). If people want to paint the bike
22 shed bright green with dark purple polka dots, be my guest. :)
25 Rich