From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 16:09:29
1 >>>>> On Wed, 30 Aug 2017, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I see no reason to make Portage less strict than it is now. There
5 >> is no valid use case for this, and the PMS behavior is just plain
6 >> stupid. Reverting the change will not bring any clear gain, and
7 >> will only surprise people who actually hit the case.
8
9 > ++
10
11 > Measure twice, cut once. Figure out what the spec should be before
12 > we start changing things, unless we're confident that the direction
13 > we're going to head down is actually an improvement. The fact that
14 > getting it right is harder than was originally thought is just that
15 > much more reason to not mess with the code yet if nothing is
16 > actually breaking.
17
18 Blame Portage. Twice, first for implementing "plain stupid" behaviour
19 that was used as the basis of the current specification, and second
20 for later changing it contrary to the spec.
21
22 In fact, incompletely changing it, leaving the worst part (empty
23 disjunctions evaluating to true) in place.
24
25 Ulrich