From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 00:02:48
1 On 07.06.2012 23:05, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 04 Jun 2012, Jorge Manuel B S Vicetto wrote:
3 >
4 >> Nominations for the Gentoo Council 2012/2013 are now open for the
5 >> next two weeks (until 23:59 UTC, 17/06/2012).
6 >
7 > Seems that somebody has to start. ;-) I nominate:
8 >
9 > betelgeuse
10 > chainsaw
11 > dberkholz
12 > grobian
13 > hwoarang
14 >
15 > I believe they have done a good job during the past council term.
16 > If he wasn't an election official, I would nominate jmbsvicetto, too.
17 >
18 > Ulrich
19
20 I had to think about running for a while because I am not spending as
21 much time on Gentoo as I was for example five years ago. After Tony's
22 encouranging words on #gentoo-council I decided to check if people still
23 feel I should be on the council.
24
25 Initial Manifesto:
26
27 I have been on the council for the last five years. This means that if
28 you want a radical change to happen I am not the candidate to vote for.
29
30 Some people seem to have written the git migration on their agendas. If
31 the council could have made it happen then I think it would have
32 happened a long a while ago. In Gentoo things happen because of the
33 people writing ebuilds / code / whatever (thanks!). The primary role of
34 the council is deciding on the issues put on the agenda. To some degree
35 we should be proactive in filling the agenda but really the best way to
36 move the distro forward is for individual developers to make their ideas
37 and code public. If no consensus can be reached then the council is the
38 tool to select between competing options.
39
40 I think one concrete goal for this term is to for me to review the GLEPs
41 related to devrel, QA, council etc as there's been some work started by
42 for example calchan but those projects where never properly finished. As
43 my history in delivering manifesto goals is not stellar I promise to buy
44 a beer to anyone at FOSDEM or any other conference if I fail to do a
45 good job and you come asking for it after voting for me :)
46
47 Regards,
48 Petteri
49