From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] The mis-concept of "slacking" in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:38:33
On 2010.06.30 01:20, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Steve, > > > On 06/16/10 19:28, Steve Dibb wrote: > > The way I see it, there are a few types of "slacker" status. > > > > There are those who are just plain busy, and can't respond in a > timely > > manner due to real-life issues. Then there are a group who just > don't > > have time for Gentoo as a regular maintenance task anymore, but > still > > participate in discussions, development, etc. Then there's the > last > > group who are completely unresponsive and inactive -- these are the > ones > > that are real blockers. > > > > I don't like the idea of pretending there's no such thing as > slacking, > > because there is. > > What you describe isn't slacking to me. What is slacking to you? > is this a language thing? Slacker translates to "Faulenzer" in > German, > a person being "faul" or lazy in English. > > Best, > > > > Sebastian >
Sebastian, "Slacker" is close in meaning to "lazy" in English. Lazy implies a deliberate decision to not do something. Slacker, leaves the reasons open to question and confers the benefit of the doubt on the slacker. We are all volunteers, Gentoo never gets above 3rd in our priority list after family and job. It won't even get to 3rd for a lot of developers. Calling someone a slacker is thus a gentle reminder that something they look after in Gentoo needs to be attended to when they have time. It does not imply that they are lazy. -- Regards, Roy Bamford (Neddyseagoon) a member of gentoo-ops forum-mods trustees