From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 21:12:54
1 On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:04:56 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > ...
5
6 I am going to put myself out there and say that while I have had
7 disagreements with wltjr in the past, we have managed to overcome them
8 and we are still able to hold mature discussions about what is
9 best needed for Gentoo Java. Sometimes you do have to work with people
10 you occasionally find difficult. In a day job, you generally can't just
11 shut them out. Gentoo is a volunteer effort but I believe we should
12 still try harder to overcome these differences. Lord knows we need the
13 manpower.
14
15 What wltjr says about my situation is true. I joined Gentoo through the
16 Java team as I had made contributions there in the past and still had
17 some things I wanted packaged. I didn't expect the rest of the team to
18 all but disappear upon my arrival and I certainly didn't want to become
19 the lead. I reluctantly took on the role because there was hardly
20 anyone left with the knowledge of our extensive infrastructure. I've
21 dealt with some big issues but the Java project still faces some
22 serious challenges that I simply don't have a vested interest in
23 tackling. I will gladly keep working on the icedtea packages and some
24 other bits and pieces but despite talking about it a lot, I can't see
25 myself seriously taking on the likes of Maven packaging.
26
27 wltjr is afflicted with verbal diarrhoea which, while annoying, is not
28 a crime. Perhaps much of what he said would have been better left
29 unsaid but after 8 years, his frustrations are understandable. Once
30 making it through the door, he does intend to keep his head down. He'll
31 certainly have plenty to keep him busy. He therefore deserves a fresh
32 shot at this without being prejudged by certain people. Forcefully
33 preventing him from even trying probably is against policy, though I
34 confess I'm not familiar with it. If things don't work out, you still
35 have plenty of policy to deal with it.
36
37 To wltjr, you have commented that the recruitment process takes a lot
38 longer than it used to. Perhaps this does need addressing but I suggest
39 that as long as you're making progress, you just grin and bear it, as
40 fighting this will not do you any favours. Keep your eye on the prize.
41
42 Cheers,
43 --
44 James Le Cuirot (chewi)