From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Website Reorganisation Ideas
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:28:23
1 Hi all,
2
3 Not 100% sure if this is the right list, but here it goes anyway. I
4 initially posted this on the forums [0] and it seemed to get a good
5 response.
6
7 [0] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-716565.html
8
9 I was thinking about the Gentoo website, and how it can actually be
10 quite hard to navigate if you don't know where things are. I'd like to
11 suggest making it better through some simple restructuring of the
12 hierarchy of pages. The following list contains all the navigation links
13 on the current website, just rearranged.
14
15 I would suggest that only links directly below the level are displayed -
16 those further down would be hidden by default - perhaps via a
17 javascript/css reveal.
18
19 The order isn't specific.
20
21 * Gentoo.org
22 o Get Started - Links straight to the first chapter of the
23 handbook. I would suggest it explains how to choose which arch you need,
24 and then links to the handbooks for each arch, rather than the current
25 method of making people choose before they've read a single word.
26 o News
27 + Security
28 + GMN
29 + Announcements
30
31 o Community
32 + Forums
33 + IRC
34 + Mailing Lists
35 + Report issues (Bugzilla)
36 + Planet (Blogs)
37 + Package DB
38 + Vendors
39 + Unofficial sites (Possible new page)
40
41 o Sponsors
42 o Get Involved
43 + Report issues (Bugzilla)