From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 03:12:13
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 05-08-2011 18:43, Markos Chandras wrote:
5 > On 08/05/2011 07:36 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
6 >> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Patrick Lauer
7 >> <patrick@g.o> wrote:
8 >>> So if you think slacking arches are a problem ... aquire a Mips
9 >>> or Sparc or whatever machine and get cracking.
10 >
11 >> Thank you. Yes, please do this.
12 >
13 >> I don't mean to go off topic, but every time I see a complaint
14 >> about "slacking arches" I wonder if the person realized that almost
15 >> all of the "slacking arch" teams are run almost entirely by a
16 >> single person, armin76.
17 >
18 >> Take a look at the number of commits that he has and then complain
19 >> about slacking.
20 >
21 > What are you talking about? Did I ever blame Armin76? Do you think
22 > that having a single person doing all the commits can justify your
23 > argument? A single person doing commits 24/7 is not a proof that an
24 > arch is in a good state. You have totally missed the point here.
25
26 Markos,
27
28 I'm sorry, but in my view, you and others have completely missed the
29 point when you ignore the issue with man power and resources to do arch
30 work or the relevance of it and focus only on "punishing" "slacking arches".
31 Having Raúl as the single or the de-facto single maintainer for an arch
32 is something that should worry us, but not to call such an arch
33 "slacking" or, worse, "dead".
34 One of the issues with the "slacking arches" topic is that people tend
35 to associate it with mips, alpha, sparc or some of the other "exotic"
36 arches. However, in one of the iterations about this topic, someone put
37 forth numbers that showed that amd64 was at the time one of the worst
38 "slacking arches". This should be the arch more developers use daily and
39 is likely the one with more members (herd count). Also, one should
40 remember the time it takes to compile, test or debug an issue in a
41 recent amd64 system or an old / slow box with an "exotic arch" varies
42 substantially. Not to mention that the amount of testing done on "exotic
43 arches" varies substantially between projects.
44
45 In the last council, I've took the job of promoting some email threads
46 between arch teams, the council, trustees and infra to see what we could
47 do about it. Some of the issues were then opened on the project ml. You
48 are correct that there wasn't a "quick", "final" or even "conclusive"
49 decision, but I'll argue that we needed more debate - including more
50 interest and participation from the community. I do think we had a good
51 discussion.
52 This issue, including the attempt to get more hardware and special
53 deals, is still being worked on, though. Mostly through Raúl's
54 "persistance", infra has discussed some specs for boxes and there's a
55 proposal being worked on with Lance for hosting a ganeti cluster at OSUOSL.
56
57 If the argument in the end boils down to how many arches Gentoo supports
58 and about leaving support for some arches or killing it so that
59 maintainers aren't "bogged down" by arches, I'll support arches over
60 maintainers.
61
62 - --
63 Regards,
64
65 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
66 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng