From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Does the council need a lead?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:36:24
1 On 04/18/2010 07:09 PM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Richard Freeman<rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> As far as "Gentoo Leader" goes - I'll address that in a different thread.
4 >
5 > Please do so in this one to avoid thread scattering. I think it's
6 > related enough that it is interesting to discuss those two ideas in
7 > the same place.
10 Already did so in the existing thread "Do we want to make changes to the
11 role of the council?"
12
13 I guess I wasn't explicit about it. I see the council as being the
14 overall "leader" of Gentoo. If they want to appoint a PM to write
15 legislation (and have people take tentative action pending
16 ratification), that is perfectly fine. However, I don't think the
17 council can completely delegate its authority, and I don't think Gentoo
18 needs a benevolent dictator.
19
20 Now, if some billionare wants to pull a Shuttleworth and hire a bunch of
21 people to work on Gentoo, then of course he can dictate what they work
22 on, and that will give such a person a de-facto position of power in the
23 distro. However, it would be a benevolent power, and one which they are
24 in fact paying for. However, I don't think that in an all volunteer
25 effort that the benevolent dictator bit works all that well.
26
27 Rich