From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo: growing pains & the future.
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:13:34
1 On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:21:24 +0000
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 > - Would EVERY developer please start acting professionally in all
4 > fora?
5
6 The word "professionally" is a dangerous one due to its many
7 interpretations. Would you say that concealing problems, downplaying
8 bugs, not admitting to large-scale problems and attempting to keep
9 issues private is professional? Transparency and honesty aren't exactly
10 hallmarks of professional development, since good PR and lawyers are
11 usually cheaper than delivering a good product.
12
13 Looking at it another way, do you believe Gentoo should be aiming to
14 deliver a good product to gain a good public image, or should it be
15 looking at getting a good public image?
16
17 <repositioning for convenience>
18 > "If I said $X to my boss or underlings at work, would I get fired or
19 > sued for abuse or harassment?"
20
21 If you publicly admitted to a horrible data loss bug at work that your
22 boss thought could be covered up, blamed on user error etc, would you
23 get fired or sued?
24
25 > We "solve" this, we tried to add the Ombudsman, CoC, Proctors,
26 > Developer Relations, User Relations (later also Community Relations),
27 > but they were primarily punitive measures. Many of these were
28 > founded/developed by the Council, as extensions beyond the
29 > pre-existing devrel role (yes, it predates council).
30 >
31 > NONE of those measures really worked, many of them caused more dissent
32
33 The failure is because ultimately, Gentoo was focusing upon the wrong
34 thing. At the time, Gentoo had an awful lot of middle management, PR
35 and HR, and practically nothing in the way of technical innovation. The
36 result was a large focus upon "building a community" (mostly comprised
37 of vocal forums users who did not use Gentoo). Again, the community is
38 something that should come about as a result of a good product, not
39 something that should be built at the expense of a product.
40
41 This hasn't improved, either. Gentoo still can't deliver non-trivial
42 technical changes. There's no tree signing. There's no Git migration.
43 There's no proper overlay support. There are no major fixes to the
44 ebuild format. There's no proper cross compiling or multilib. There are
45 no "optional" dependencies. There's no proper SCM package support.
46 There's no VDB replacement.
47
48 Gentoo doesn't have growing pains. It stopped growing a long time ago.
49 What it has is a crippling inability to make improvements. Trying to
50 build a community on top of that is only making the problem worse. The
51 focus should be upon reversing the stagnation, and using a better
52 distribution as a way of getting healthier interactions.
55 Ciaran McCreesh