From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council: Policy for Systemd units
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:27:54
1 On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Cooperation doesn't include hostile take-over.
4
5 It also doesn't include hostile maintainers planting their feet.
6 There is no take-over. You're welcome to maintain everything but the
7 unit file and pretend the unit file isn't there.
10 > And as I said, in my opinion feature requests belong upstream.
11
12 It has been stated, and most seem to disagree that this is a feature
13 request. There are lots of things Gentoo does that I disagree with.
14 In the case where it has been considered and I'm just in the minority,
15 I have to live with that. If it were up to me council and trustee
16 members could overlap, because I feel that it reduces the risk of
17 conflict between the groups (even though this has never been a
18 problem). Others feel that they'd rather have more independence and
19 more people covering those important roles. I'm in the minority, so I
20 follow the rules until the rest of you realize that you're wrong. :)
23 > If what you're proposing is going to be standard practice in Gentoo,
24 > then I will be looking for a friendlier environment to spend my time
25 > on.
26
27 I'd really hope that you'd reconsider. The intent is for the systemd
28 team to do everything they can to avoid making your life as a
29 maintainer more difficult. However, if the concern is an ideological
30 one and not a practical one I understand. There are some Debian
31 maintainers who object strongly to non-free software in the main
32 repository, and they probably would not want to work on Gentoo as a
33 result because we do allow non-free software in our main repository.
34 That's a value call, but most Gentoo devs would rather keep the
35 packages even if it means possibly turning them away (not that they
36 wouldn't be welcome for our part).
37
38 I understand where you're coming from - I tend to be a bit of an
39 idealist myself. I have to resist sending hate-bugspam to Mozilla
40 every time I get pinged because somebody else adds themselves to the
41 CACert bug which has hundreds of people CC'ed. I'm sure some of my
42 emails on this list have annoyed quite a few at times as I can be
43 fairly stubborn until persuaded (you should see the emails I delete
44 before sending!). I suspect that this is a common trait among FOSS
45 developers - skill levels and as a result confidence tends to run high
46 and that makes it hard to compromise. I think we stick around because
47 we realize that there really isn't anything better out there, and on
48 our own we are worse off.
49
50 We really can't operate if individual package maintainers can dictate
51 policy that impacts tree-wide initiatives. Individual maintainers
52 can't turn away freedesktop entries, init scripts, logrotate/tmpreaper
53 configs, and systemd units are really no different. Gentoo isn't just
54 a mirror of upstream tarballs - we integrate.
55
56 Rich