From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 09:02:44
1 On 29-02-2012 22:08:17 +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > I'm not sure it's council material but it could be;
3 > Proposal to change the environment variables to achieve a utf-8 gentoo
4 > by default.
5 > It has been discussed in a thread "LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default" [1],
6 > some concerns have been expressed and some solution proposed, however
7 > there is no explicit consensus.
8 > If you're interested I can try to sum that thread up [2] and possibly
9 > do some research on the matter.
10
11 I think that discussion can be split into
12 1) if a UTF-8 profile should be set as default, and
13 2) what UTF-8 profile that would be
14
15 Just to give some hints/ideas here:
16 For 1), for many people it's a waste, and it's not POSIX (== C IIRC), so
17 should we really do that. Also, how about this changing default for
18 existing systems. Why not update the docs to strongly suggest to set an
19 UTF-8 profile instead.
20 Then, 2) is almost moot. If you would default to an UTF-8 profile, I
21 think the only sensical option is en_US.UTF-8 (not en_GB). However, if
22 you only strongly suggest in the installation docs, you can get away
23 from this problem, since the user has to choose his/her preference in
24 that case anyway. Just a note that leaving en_US.UTF-8 always in is a
25 good idea would suffice, I guess.
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level