From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-03-13
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 09:02:44
On 29-02-2012 22:08:17 +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote:
> I'm not sure it's council material but it could be; > Proposal to change the environment variables to achieve a utf-8 gentoo > by default. > It has been discussed in a thread "LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default" [1], > some concerns have been expressed and some solution proposed, however > there is no explicit consensus. > If you're interested I can try to sum that thread up [2] and possibly > do some research on the matter.
I think that discussion can be split into 1) if a UTF-8 profile should be set as default, and 2) what UTF-8 profile that would be Just to give some hints/ideas here: For 1), for many people it's a waste, and it's not POSIX (== C IIRC), so should we really do that. Also, how about this changing default for existing systems. Why not update the docs to strongly suggest to set an UTF-8 profile instead. Then, 2) is almost moot. If you would default to an UTF-8 profile, I think the only sensical option is en_US.UTF-8 (not en_GB). However, if you only strongly suggest in the installation docs, you can get away from this problem, since the user has to choose his/her preference in that case anyway. Just a note that leaving en_US.UTF-8 always in is a good idea would suffice, I guess. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level