From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:05:51
1 On 12:30 Fri 05 Aug , Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Let's say I propose an idea that 80% of the council likes but 80% of
4 > > developers want. This doesn't seem unreasonable since I was very
5 > > highly ranked in voting with a platform that involves totally
6 > > changing our leadership structure, and yet the council insists it
7 > > cannot change GLEP 39. I would be pretty pissed if most of Gentoo
8 > > wanted something but the "cabal" at the top didn't even let them
9 > > make the choice.
10 >
11 > I've read this paragraph twice, but I still fail to understand it. Why
12 > do you call it a "cabal" if there is a large majority both amongst
13 > council members and devs in general?
14
15 But I'm not saying that. Instead, what if (this is a hypothetical, not
16 saying it's reality) there's just a few council members whom the devs in
17 general support?
18
19 Let's assume the following scenario:
20
21 The developer base only wants 3 people on the council and disagrees with
22 the views of the other 4. But since 7 are required to be on it, they
23 must vote for 7 or get stuck in an infinite loop of reopening
24 nominations. The undesired 4 people could block the other 3 from
25 proposing any changes to GLEP 39.
26
27 In other words, it sounds like what you're saying is that anyone could
28 propose changes to GLEP 39 that go to a full developer vote. Unless
29 you're on the council, in which case there's an automatic veto
30 opportunity given to them first. That second bit is the part that
31 doesn't make any sense to me.
34 Thanks,
35 Donnie
36