From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:01:17
1 Daniel Butzu wrote:
2
3 > On 1/19/08, Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 >> For the record: I'd still like drobbins involved, but I don't think his
6 >> terms were at all reasonable, and the way he went about it was
7 >> reprehensible imo. It was designed to cause the furore it did, and only
8 >> makes me give credence to the argument that much of the negative press on
9 >> distrowatch has come from an associate of his. It was a totally political
10 >> move, and not at all motivated by concern for Gentoo afaic. If he cared
11 >> that much, he'd have approached Mr Goodyear privately or on the nfp list
12 >> if he wanted to be "open". Not put everyone through all this stress.
13 >>
14 > Maybe. However, since it caused the furore it did it seems that a lot
15 > of users were unsatisfied.
16
17 >> Users used to feel just as excluded when drobbins was in charge
18 There appears to be some myth going round that everything was sweetness and
19 light back in those days; it's not true, and further the distro was an
20 absolute pig to maintain:
21 <long time user> "I used Gentoo when it was version 0.7, which was omg
22 broken. Packages were added to portage and this would be stable, that would
23 not compile at all. Then you had to re-sync to compile it, so in a day, you
24 would need to re-sync portage 3 or 4 times to get everything to compile. :P
25 ..Even still back in the 1.4 days, people really had no idea what to do."
26
27 > You can't stir up something when there is nothing to stir up.
28
29 Actually I think this whole drama shows that you can, or at least you can
30 draw attention to one thing (lack of paperwork) and pretend it means
31 something else (Gentoo is dying! Again!) People like drama.
32
33 > So maybe we should focus more on our problems today, since we were unable
34 > of doing it yesterday.
35
36 Er yeah, maybe you'd like to discuss those then? That was what the rest of
37 my mail was about.
38
39 >> I've openly stated that I think user involvement and conduct on the dev
40 >> m-l are the biggest problems I see.
41
42 As in, how do we constructively change those? Or do you believe that can
43 only be done by drobbins taking exclusive ownership of everyone's code?
48 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list