From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 02:47:24
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
> in developer relation bugs, the accused should also be allowed to recuse > such double members; as > > "i'm not saying this as devrel member but..." > "i'm not saying this as council member but..." > > is constantly being used as weapon by selected people, making the whole > process of devrel unfair when other members get semi ignored
I don't think the accused should have any such rights. I do think they (or their accusers) should have a right to a speedy appeal after any disciplinary actions are imposed or denied. Then whatever the decision of the Council is, the will of the Gentoo Developer Community has been done. That's why we elect them. Now, if people are somehow being denied an appeal then that is a different matter. Is your concern that non-council members of devrel feel like they have less say, since the decision can be appealed to council and so they're forced to more-or-less go along with what they feel the council will want? If so, then I'd say the system is working as intended. When a district judge is making a ruling, the first thing he does is sees what higher courts have ruled in the past. It is a waste of everybody's time for a judge to come up with a ruling that he knows will be reversed. The only reason we have lower courts is that it doesn't scale well to have every dispute heard by the highest court of the land. It is much the same with the Council. If the Council thinks that a certain devrel stance will improve the distro, then it is their place to make that request and enforce it via appeals if necessary. Face it, Gentoo is a pretty easy place to get something done as long as it doesn't involve stepping on everybody else's toes. Actually, most teams are good about cooperating - if I got pinged that one of my packages didn't work with the latest libfoo stable candidate I'd be sure to take a look at it, and treecleaners would step in if I didn't after a reasonable time. The only time we really need the Council is for the big decisions. And, those big decisions don't get made more effectively if everybody is questioning the right of anybody to make the big decisions. In the end, SOMEBODY has to make the last call. We might as well make it an elected body. Rich