From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] On the way Devrel is constituted
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:32:29
1 On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:03:30 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 07:25:55AM -0400, Douglas Dunn wrote:
5 > > In my opinion the devrel project lead or perhaps have 3 leads but
6 > > should at least be confirmed by the council, if that can happen and
7 > > the lead and or leads can make sure that the other devrel members
8 > > are upholding the intent of the coc. It doesn't take a law degree
9 > > to enforce the coc, maybe give individual devrel members the
10 > > authority to give temporary punishments, but i think anything
11 > > permanent should go to the council to at least confirm devrels
12 > > suggestion of a permanent punishment.
13 >
14 > If the council has to approve a major action devrel takes against a
15 > developer, there is no point in that developer appealing to the
16 > council.
17 >
18 > > But imo if the lead of devrel needs confirmed by the council, and
19 > > the council has the power to remove the lead, and the final appeal
20 > > goes to the council, i dont see much room for the possibility of
21 > > abuse by devrel.
22 >
23 > I don't see why the council couldn't remove the devrel lead if they
24 > felt it necessary.
25 >
26 > Here are some thoughts I have wrt this situation:
27 >
28 > 1. The QA and Devrel projects are directly accountable to the council.
29 > This protects against abuse of power since the council can remove
30 > people from these projects if they determine that power is being
31 > abused.
32 >
33 > 2. The leads of these projects should be selected by the projects like
34 > any other project, but confirmed by the council.
35 >
36 > 3. Since the leads are confirmed by the council, I don't think it is
37 > necessary for them to go back to the council for approval for actions
38 > they take.
39 >
40 > 4. Both of these projects require unique skill sets that most
41 > developers may not have, so I don't think electing members of these
42 > projects is a good idea.
43 >
44 > 5. Any actions these projects take can be appealed to the council
45 > (This follows from point 1).
46 >
47 > Thoughts?
48