From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] The problem of defunct and undermanned projects in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 21:13:00
1 On 18/07/17 20:56, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 23:12:42 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> What do you think? Would you mind getting that amount of mail once?
6 >> Any other ideas?
7 > From the mail I got, ( which I didn't mind ), I felt there was one
8 > distinguisher that was missing:
9 >
10 > "active" vs "passive" membership.
11 >
12 > Like, I get the impression ( with perl for instance ) that although
13 > many of its members are "around", and they occasionally "do something",
14 > I'm not sure they can all count as "There" in terms of staff-power
15 > metrics.
16 >
17 > If you make one commit every 6 months, are you really still "active"?
18 >
19 > Its useful to keep them all on the list, because they're people who
20 > have knowledge and can do the work if it comes there way, so I don't
21 > think *removing* them is the right thing to do.
22 >
23 > But for keeping tabs on "do we need more staff or not", it just serves
24 > as a confusing source of data.
25 >
26 There seem to be a lot of devs who are 'on the list' but I never see in
27 commit logs, etc. Sure they're devs alright, but they're not devaway,
28 and yet they don't appear to be providing any meaningful contribution.
29
30 I think mgorny was doing some general commit stats, and I have yet to
31 compile my own, but it would be very interesting to see how many
32 'active' team members there were in any given project. I suspect the
33 results could be very telling ...