From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-05-08
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:04:21
1 On 2012.04.25 01:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > > Honestly, I agree with you. I am a udev maintainer myself, and the
5 > udev
6 > > maintainers did not bring this issue to council. More than that, no
7 > one,
8 > > that I recall, discussed any ramifications of this vote with any
9 > udev
10 > > maintainers before bringing it to council.
11 > >
12 > > The ramifications, as I said in my previous email, are not just
13 > udev
14 > > related (see the section in my previous email about the /usr
15 > merge).
16 > >
17 > > Once we start implementing the /usr merge, it will not matter
18 > whether
19 > > you use udev or not,  you will have to have an initramfs if your
20 > /usr is
21 > > separate.
22 >
23 > I have mixed feelings on this.
24 >
25 > The fact that the ramifications are not just udev-related tends to
26 > point to the fact that this shouldn't simply be up to the udev team.
27 > These are big changes for Gentoo, and there is a great deal of
28 > controversy across the Linux world resulting from them (the
29 > Shuttleworth vs Pottering debate being the latest iteration of this).
30 > Everybody has to live with this stuff, which points to council
31 > involvement.
32 >
33 [snip]
34 > Rich
37 Council involvement is only useful where there is a choice to be made
38 between alternatives and the proponents of the options can't agree.
39 In the udev case, there is as yet, no viable alternative, so the option
40 is take it or leave it.
41
42 Gentoo may wish to support separate /usr without an initrd but until
43 the code base allows it, there is nothing for the council to vote on.
44 --
45 Regards,
46
47 Roy Bamford