From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Upcoming Council meeting on August 23rd, 1900 UTC
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:10:48
1 Council, I withdraw my suggestion to discuss security team's status
2 during the Council's meeting.
3
4 On 8/12/10 12:38 AM, Alex Legler wrote:
5 > Please don't assume things. I'm working with someone interested in
6 > joining the team right now.
7 > We're about to schedule a meeting to address the lead thing.
8 > You dind't ask for 'plans to solve the main problems'. You asked if you
9 > could help, and that question was answered.
10
11 The impression I got was "we don't have time to really train you, and
12 it's not going to improve soon". Otherwise I would expect a message more
13 like "we don't have time to train you now, but we're working hard on
14 fixing things, so watch security@g.o now, and after 6 months we will be
15 ready to train you properly".
16
17 I'm not going to quote private e-mails here, but I searched back my
18 inbox and re-read yours and Tobias' replies to make sure the above is
19 accurate.
20
21 Also, I volunteered to help with writing advisories for
22 www-client/chromium (the question about CVEs has been forwarded
23 upstream), I mean the entire advisory. I got no response.
24
25 So I admit I assumed too much here, and I'm sorry it sounded like trying
26 to fight (this is not my intention; see beginning of this post).
27
28 I'd like to suggest a better visibility of the project. Security is an
29 important part of Gentoo, so you can expect people outside of the
30 project being concerned by what they see. When you work hard at fixing
31 the long-term problems, please post somewhere that you do (or maybe I
32 just missed such post earlier).
33
34 Paweł