From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] CoC round 2 (or is it 10? ;)
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:47:34
1 Chrissy Fullam wrote:
2 >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> Here is the summary from today's council meeting. The
4 >> complete log will show up at
5 > <snip>
6 > - The CoC is in effect, but it needs a new enforcement section since the
7 > proctors were disbanded. The council is sending discussion of this to
8 > the gentoo-project list, to come up with proposals for three points:
9 > - who enforces it
10 > - musikc said devrel could
11 > - tsunam said userrel could
12 > <snip>
13 >
14 > I wanted to clarify, please understand the intent behind my part of the
15 > conversation was that devrel and userrel should continue to share the
16 > responsibility as appropriate, and continue to work together, including
17 > the questionable/overlapping areas. The above may have been misinterpreted
18 > by some to indicate 'pick which one', when my intent was a joined front on
19 > enforcing the CoC.
20 >
21 That seems reasonable, since the two groups who need equal treatment in an
22 even-handed, impartial manner, are the users and the devs. I'd be happier
23 if user-reps were considered for the pool as well, since devs all seem to
24 know each other fairly well and are quite a close-knit virtual community.
25 Closing ranks happens: deal with it or not. *shrug* YMMV.
26
27 >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
28 > > - how to enforce it
29 > > - whether it's active or passive enforcement
30 Er well I'd say passive enforcements what you've had so far (at least as far
31 as the dev m-l, which is where many issues seem to surface, goes) and it
32 hasn't worked out very well, which was why there was the long "discussion"
33 on dev[1] followed by the decision to establish the proctors[2].
34
35 > > - which actions are appropriate
36 > >
37 IMO muting a thread/locking a forum post/setting irc +m for 24
38 hours/forever/however long the ops think it needs, with email/privmsg/pm
39 discussion with whichever people are most vociferously flaming each other
40 (as decided by the mods.)
41
42 > > - If the -project list does not come up with a draft, dberkholz will
43 > > write one based on -project discussion to vote upon at the November
44 > > council meeting.
45
46 Of course, you're going to need people who have experience of forum
47 moderation, since that's the closest to email. IRC ops can overreact in
48 this context, since they have to close a flamewar/cursing-match/abusive
49 situation down in real-time, so their instinct is naturally to set +b for
50 the medium.
51
52 [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/46339/focus=46611
53 [2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/46780