From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Website Reorganisation Ideas
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:36:59
Steve Long wrote:
> Petteri Räty wrote: > >> AllenJB wrote: >>> I was thinking about the Gentoo website, and how it can actually be >>> quite hard to navigate if you don't know where things are. I'd like to >>> suggest making it better through some simple restructuring of the >>> hierarchy of pages. The following list contains all the navigation links >>> on the current website, just rearranged. >>> >> Yeah the pages in general could use some work. The problem will probably >> just be finding someone to do the work. >> > Er I think he was volunteering; I am sure enough forum users will support > his endeavour and help in turn. > > AllenJB: I take it you're going to implement the proof-of-concept elsewhere? > (It will need testing etc.) Are you planning to mirror the Gentoo site and > then lay it out differently, or what? beandog's packages site is a good > example of the process that could be used; might want to forum msg/email > him about it (if you haven't already.) Dunno if he reads -project, and I > don't see him on IRC that often, fwtw.
I am definitely volunteering to look at making these changes, but don't have the time immediately. I intend to look at this over Xmas / January and hope to submit some patches. I've done some work with the GuideXML stuff used in the Gentoo docs and site before, and I know where the items I want to change are through some asking around. My plan was to implement a public copy of my proposed changes on my own server and submit patches to Bugzilla. I was going to take the changes in bite-size chunks - so first I'd simply redo the menus (without changing the actual site structure where possible - which it should be I believe). I'd then look at the extra pages I suggested after that. I'll take a look at beandogs packages site to see what he's done - thanks for the pointer. AllenJB