From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo: growing pains & the future.
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:57:11
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 06/16/2013 11:21 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
5 > (Please reply on the gentoo-project list, I have set the Reply-To
6 > header for this mail appropriately).
7 >
8 > === TL;DR: - Does GLEP39 still serve all the needs of Gentoo?
9 > Devrel useful? - How to improve ourselves as a distribution
10 > (technical) and as people (personal interactions)? - Would EVERY
11 > developer please start acting professionally in all fora? ===
15 Please keep in mind that these are just raw ideas.
18 - - all? no.
19 A tiny idea to improve the council just came to my mind: 1-2
20 representatives of the user community should be voted in. IMO there
21 are a enough well known personalities in #gentoo, #gentoo-chat, from
22 the forums or elsewhere.
23 Also: those guys are not already involved in gentoo development and
24 (warning: assumption) might have more time to spend on their council duty.
25 Maybe developers joining the council should even (partly) step back
26 from their regular ebuild maintenance work, so they have more time for
27 council work, interacting with user community, dev community, the
28 whole community and even other communities and come up with some ideas
29 every few months to be voted on by _us_.
30
31 What this is about is actually shifting the duties of the council from
32 a decision making to a more idea shaping, representative and
33 arbitrating duty. It should be the first contact point of
34 inter-projects problems, track opinions and trends in the community,
35 give recommendations and maybe even advertise gentoo in some
36 non-intrusive way, in interviews whatever.
37
38 We can establish direct democracy very easily through technology via
39 scripts on woodpecker, a new public mailing list (read only for
40 non-devs) and a time frame of 4 weeks to vote on a subject for example.
41
42 Devrel in it's current form is useless. They should just be
43 butt-kickers and do that not just on request, but because they listen
44 to the stuff that happens. And do that consequently. No matter if it's
45 short- or longterm intervention.
46
47 Trolls are still condoned on our mailing lists, even if they are known
48 for that behavior for years. That conflicts even with our current CoC.
49 But no one does anything about that.
50
51 Devrel should be elected like the council is, not just by a handful of
52 devs.
53
54 However, putting distro-wide decisions in the hands of a few is just
55 random.
56
57 - - Sometimes I think less personal interactions could help in some
58 situations (I do NOT mean ignoring people when they address you about
59 a problem). That's part of being professional imo. In other cases we
60 just need stricter butt-kicking.
61 On the technical level... well, if the council role is redefined like
62 I explained above, then we have some people more explicitly working on
63 improving the very concept of gentoo in general, how we are perceived
64 by other user communities and so on. Recruiting is still a big issue.
65 And as I explained in numerous other threads... I was unable to
66 convince any1 in real life to even TRY gentoo, although I got lots of
67 arguments. Our documentation is great, but not consistent.
68 Anyway, our image is not that good and the situation on the ML does
69 not improve it.
70 But... being polite does not help, being professional and awesome does.
71
72 - - There is always someone silly, trolling or whatever now and then.
73 The problem is, when it's regular behavior for that person. But people
74 seem to accommodate to that, especially when those people are
75 technically adept.