From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 8th May 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 06:03:01
1 Hi Mike,
2
3 On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 09:41:34PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 08:46:21PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > > On Friday 04 May 2012 19:06:37 William Hubbs wrote:
6 > > > If you use an initramfs to pre-mount /usr, all of these issues are moot
7 > > > and things just work (tm). Mike's sep-usr use flag option on busybox
8 > > > may do this, but see below.
9 > > >
10 > > > - Separate /usr without initramfs blocks the /usr merge.
11 > > > In my original request to have your vote reviewed, I pointed out the
12 > > > document which asserts that the /usr merge is a good thing and pointed
13 > > > out the thread in which we discussed it on -dev. The arguments
14 > > > supporting it are strong, and I haven't seen any technical argument
15 > > > against it that would not be addressed by using an initramfs with
16 > > > separate /usr. If you are using an initramfs, you will never know
17 > > > when the /usr merge happens, but if you are using something like
18 > > > Mike's option your system is not compatible with the merge.
19 > >
20 > > why exactly do you say that ? i already explained that busybox[sep-usr] works
21 > > perfectly fine in a /usr-merged world. the /ginit static ELF literally needs
22 > > nothing else in the system to work. you could boot a rootfs where the only
23 > > thing in / was ginit and it wouldn't be a problem.
24 >
25 > Ah ok, maybe this is the answer then. That's why I said above that I
26 > wasn't sure.
27 >
28 > If you are installing the ginit binary directly in /, we may be good
29 > to go. :-)
30
31 This is pretty slick. I'm running with an initramfs, but I may test your
32 code here in a few.
33
34 Also, I think I found something I'm going to send you a patch for. I'll
35 handle that in private email though.
36
37 William