From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 19:22:59
1 On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > Right, exactly what I am saying. A single developer has to put his
3 > effort to push things forward. Last time I remember something similar
4 > was when Ben (yngwin) tried to introduce changes and he was "forced" to
5 > retirement. Awesome. You know very well that if a single person tries on
6 > his own to change things, he will lose motivation sooner or later.
7
8 So, here's the thing. If a huge number of devs are against an idea,
9 then it is probably best NOT to approve it unless it is just a matter
10 of bikeshedding.
11
12 What is the alternative? One guy wants to make a huge change to
13 Gentoo. Most don't agree. Democratically elected council is thus
14 unlikely to back it. Instead suppose we have a dictator for the year
15 or whatever and he happens to support it, so he issues an edict that
16 the one guy is the prophet for this year.
17
18 The result is that most people either end up ignoring the prophet and
19 the dictator and doing their own thing. Or, maybe the prophet and
20 dictator manage to kick out half the devs who then just fork the
21 project. Either way the initiative fails.
22
23 The only way you're going to succeed in an initiative like this with
24 everybody in opposition is to show true leadership and win people
25 over. You don't need to be elected to do that. If we're just talking
26 about a few hold-outs than I doubt that the current system would
27 prevent progress.
28
29 Let's look at the whole /usr thread. It started out with lots of
30 shock and general opposition with one or two guys pushing for a
31 change. They than brought forward arguments and I'd judge from recent
32 comments that they won over a good chunk of the dev population - now
33 we're just haggling about the how and not arguing so much over to-FHS
34 or not to-FHS. By the time the council is asked to do anything (if
35 they even need to get involved) there will probably be a clear
36 majority consensus. That's how you drive change.
37
38 If you can't win over a lot of devs then trying to force change is
39 likely to end you in X11R6 land.
40
41 Rich