From: Allen Brooker <gmane@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Improving developer/user communication
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:50:23
Allen Brooker wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote: >> Allen Brooker wrote: >>> Could we create a very-low-traffic, developer-posts-only list that is >>> used for announcing important package changes? The list could also be >>> used for other announcements (not sure exactly what - events where >>> Gentoo devs will be, regional meets, other things). If people feel that >>> using the same list for other announcements too would create too much >>> traffic, consider creating multiple lists, which would allow people to >>> subscribe to only the types of messages that they want to see. >> Just made it at the same time as this one: gentoo-dev-announce. We're >> still working out the policy. >> >> Thanks, >> Donnie >> > According to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml (and my impression > from the name) that list appears to be for developer-targeted announcements. > > What I was thinking was something along the lines of some of the > post-install messages (not all of them, just the important ones that > might actually (appear to) break things - eg. glibc upgrade - "you can't > downgrade"; gcc upgrade - "follow the guide here; coreutils upgrade - > "some locations have changed - run 'hash -r' to clear the cache"; etc.) > and other user-targeted messages to be sent to a list. > > Allen >
On a side note, I do know there's ELOG for some of what I'm talking about, but as I see it the two problems with it are that: 1) Not everyone knows about it 2) You don't get the messages until after you've installed something. I believe users should have warning of "major" upgrades before they perform them. Allen -- gentoo-project@g.o mailing list