From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:25:09
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 08/14/2011 01:15 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
5 > Markos Chandras schrieb:
6 >> Hi all,
7 >>
8 >> This is the first of the items I would like to discuss for the
9 >> next Council agenda (or a later one).
10 >>
11 >> Some time ago, few people proposed to have Council appointed
12 >> leaders for QA and DevRel.
13 >
14 > My first question: Why is your proposal restricted to QA and DevRel?
15
16 Cause I believe these teams are crucial to the continuity of Gentoo
17 project.
20 >> I like the idea because this way the Council can ensure that the
21 >> team is active or either force some activity in case the current
22 >> leader slacks big time.
23 >
24 > If there is noone active in a team, noone prevents other devs to join
25 > the team and vote themselves for the lead. So even if there is no
26 > activity, it should be no problem to get activity, if someone is
27 > interested to do the work.
28 Right now, you can't join any of these teams unless a lead approves you.
29 Have a look at gentoo-qa ML.
30
31 If the team is inactive and noone interested, the Council wont be able
32 > to create any activity either, since they cannot force anyone to do
33 > something.
34 You can't just join a dead team and become a lead :). There are some
35 bureaucracy^W procedures to follow.
38 >> Furthermore, right now there is the potential problem for the
39 >> leader to only allow new members that he likes so they can vote for
40 >> him on next elections. Membership and voting actions should not be
41 >> related in these teams.
42 >
43 > How is this specific to those 2 projects? Other projects do work the
44 > same way, so if you argument this way, you should extend your
45 > proposal to all projects, not just QA and DevRel.
46 >
47 Like I said, these are the crucial projects. This is because they manage
48 procedures affecting inter-project related issues etc.
49
50 - --
51 Regards,
52 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2