From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] On the way Devrel is constituted
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 02:03:22
1 On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:18:49 +0200
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 > [...]
5 >> Who controls devrel?
6 >> Simple answer: no one.
7 >
8 > And this is good IMHO. Judiciary should be an independent power.
9
10 The council is elected. No sane organization (democratic or corporate
11 or whatever) just has a self-appointing judiciary. I'm not convinced
12 we even need an independent judiciary, but nations that have
13 independent judiciaries still have elected representatives appoint
14 them. They also often have a means for elected officials to overturn
15 their decisions (at least in the direction of pardons). Lifetime appointments
16 make sense when you're talking about basic laws and civil rights which
17 change on a timespan of centuries, but not when you're talking about a
18 computer operating system distribution that changes on a scale of months.
19
20 Corporations have elected boards appoint executives who appoint the
21 members of HR/Security. Democracies elect representatives who appoint
22 members of the judiciary.
23
24 My feeling is that QA and Devrel should be council appointed. They
25 can of course recommend their own members, and Council can give
26 whatever deference they feel is appropriate to the recommendation.
27
28 If you wouldn't trust somebody to appoint QA/Devrel members, then you
29 shouldn't be electing them to the Council. Likewise, if you wouldn't
30 trust somebody to not just seize control of the entire distribution
31 (infra, DNS, bank accounts, the Gentoo name, firing the Council, etc)
32 you shouldn't be electing them to the Trustees (a few years ago our
33 sole remaining Trustee was contemplating basically just turning the
34 entire distro over to a benevolent dictator (our founder), who legally
35 wouldn't be accountable to anybody including the Council (or even the
36 devs in general depending on whether the bylaws were modified)).
37 These are real governing bodies that essentially have all the powers
38 you don't want to give to anybody (well, save unelected QA/Devrel team
39 members) whether you like it or not (at least within the boundaries of
40 the Foundation charter/bylaws).
41
42 I agree with hasufell's recommendation, although I would extend it to
43 QA as well. QA and Devrel are "special" projects and should probably
44 be accountable to the Council. I think they should be largely
45 self-governing much as infra is (even though infra is fairly dependent
46 on the trustees for funding/etc). It isn't about control so much as
47 accountability and mandate. I'd of course recommend that the Council
48 should be hands-off as long as things are going well, and there really
49 isn't anything that suggests they wouldn't be (certainly this has been
50 the trend with both the Council and Trustees).
51
52 Part of me is thinking that we should just write up this proposal as a
53 GLEP and go from there. By all means devs should register their
54 opinions on it as it firms up, and we can leave it to the new Council
55 to decide how to handle it.
56
57 Rich