From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:05:39
1 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Steve Long wrote:
3 > > Well technically the Foundation used to be legal title-holder to all
4 > Gentoo
5 > > assets. He's talking about the Trustees exerting control over the
6 > > developers, which is something it was explicitly set up not to do; the
7 > > Council are the ultimate authority for all developers. So in a sense
8 > > he's trying to take control over the whole thing (even though it would
9 > > be
10 > a new
11 > > legally disjoint entity) in one swoop. Some people will applaud that,
12 > > others not. *shrug*
13 >
14 > Well correct me if I am wrong but if the foundation is no more then
15 > wouldn't/hasn't everything revert(ed) back to him anyway?
16
17 Only the copyright on any trademarks as I understand it, and the copyright
18 to any of his code which might still be in portage or elsewere (which was
19 made available under GPL2, so there'd be no breach in <Gentoo>, or anyone
20 else, continuing to use it.) Copyright on others' work was never his.
21
22 > > The SFC thing is far more like the old Foundation tbh. Only they have
23 > > professional admins, accountants and lawyers. ;)
24 > >
25 > >> At the very least I would only consider his offer when I had some sort
26 > >> of information on the offer. Negotiations are whats needed, not an
27 > >> instant accept/decline
28 > >
29 > > Yeah, only he explicitly rules out any negotiation and set a very tight
30 > > deadline to accept or refuse. I pleaded with him to change only the
31 > > terms (no discussion/deadline and all his appointees) believe it or
32 > > not. meh. "Railroading" is the only term that seems apt to me.
33 > >
34 > That is just a negotiation manoeuvre, forcing Gentoo to act
35
36 Well it just feels like strongarm tactics, is all. Then again, it's not my
37 problem, as long as the devs keep doing what they been with the software.
38 It's their work we're discussing handing over to this new entity after all.
39 It's also the community's of course, due to the patches supplied over the
40 years; I guess it'd be fine if he was just talking about representing that
41 group (which he has done) but this is about much more: the whole kit and
42 caboodle, and there's no room for negotiation. I still can't see the
43 attraction.
47 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list