From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Do we want to make changes to the role of the council?
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 04:02:59
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 22-04-2010 21:55, Richard Freeman wrote:
5 > On 04/22/2010 07:41 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
6 >> My concern here is the idea that the council should be able to "disband"
7 >> a project or turn it around 180 degrees. If we open the door to this,
8 >> then we'll be throwing away the principles that any developer can create
9 >> a project, that a team acts as its members choose to and that in the end
10 >> some choices fall to those who do the work.
11 >
12 > Not at all - developers could still do all of this, as long as they
13 > don't do anything so drastically bad for the distro that the council
14 > would need to step in.
15 >
16 > The council should of course use discretion in its actions, and it
17 > should always just talk to somebody before they go booting people/etc.
18 >
19 >> Besides, if the council
20 >> were to "disband" a team or try to force a policy on it, how do you
21 >> think that would work if there were no team members left and no one
22 >> stepped up?
23 >
24 > Again, a good reason for the council to use discretion. However, in
25 > some cases it would be better to not have a team at all than to have a
26 > team acting contrary to the overall distro's interests.
27 >
28 >> Finally, in extreme cases, the council can also have a word
29 >> regarding individual developers and or projects.
30 >
31 > How? This is exactly what I'm proposing - that in extreme cases the
32 > council can intervene directly as needed. If the council can't do this,
33 > then how can they "have a word" unless you literally mean nothing more
34 > than words.
35
36 I read your proposal as giving unlimited powers to the council without
37 some form of check and balances. I gather from your last reply that you
38 want to ensure they have enough leeway to be able to act, but that they
39 should only do it in extreme cases. It seems there's room to try to find
40 a balance.
41
42 >> Gentoo isn't exactly a "democracy" and therefore such comparisons
43 >> usually are not adequate for us.
44 >
45 > Perhaps not purely so, it is a bit more of a meritocracy, but it is
46 > essentially democratic. I don't see why democracy is a bad thing, as
47 > long as it doesn't involve those who don't do anything wielding power
48 > over those who do. Having at least a little control over the membership
49 > roles should mitigate this.
50
51 I don't think democracy is bad, I just wanted to highlight that not
52 everything in Gentoo is subject to democratic rules.
53
54 >> Gentoo (the distribution) is not a Corporation, so that comparison isn't
55 >> adequate as well.
56 >
57 > What is a corporation? It is essentially a body of people aligned to a
58 > common purpose. The same governance models apply to everything from
59 > businesses to clubs to professional organizations to churches to
60 > parliaments. Perhaps all these organizations have figured out that this
61 > model works fairly well - or at least better than the alternatives.
62 > Honestly, I don't really see what cohesive alternative you're offering
63 > other than a loose confederation with oversight by closed bodies.
64
65 You have a point as I haven't submitted any alternative yet. I do want
66 to submit a proposal but I'm still thinking about it and evaluating old
67 thoughts about Gentoo's meta-structure.
68
69 >> But Developer Relations isn't a "Boy's Club" or the only "not so open"
70 >> group in Gentoo. There's also User Relations. The infrastructure team,
71 >> for its own responsibility and abilities, as far as I know, has always
72 >> invited members in and doesn't have open membership. To a certain extent
73 >> the QA team has worked that way too and I'm sure most of us would like
74 >> QA members to exhibit certain qualities. Then there's PR.
75 >
76 > I don't think that any of these organizations are doing a bad job. I'm
77 > not sure they should be open to anybody who wants to sign up. However,
78 > there should always be oversight. That is really all I'm proposing.
79 > Having council oversight actually frees up these organzations to not
80 > feel as beholden to admit devs at large, since the council can hold them
81 > accountable.
82 >
83 > In the end there will always be oversight - right now it isn't written
84 > down, but in the end SOMEBODY or some group is in charge. I guess it
85 > effectively is whoever has root on the servers, or perhaps the trustees
86 > since they can determine who can use the name Gentoo. All I'm saying is
87 > that we should realize that governance is necessary and set up the best
88 > form of governance we can have.
89
90 I agree fully with you about oversight. I don't think any project on
91 Gentoo can and should be able to run without oversight. My question is
92 about what type of oversight and what tools it should have at its disposal.
93
94 >> A former council did have some influence, not directly in the KDE
95 >> project, but by having DevRel evaluate and act on one of its members -
96 >> at the time the Lead. That action did had a profound impact in the
97 >> project - it almost killed it and it took a long time for KDE to get
98 >> back in shape.
99 >
100 > And in the end, was Gentoo as a whole better off or worse off? Sometimes
101 > you need to take a step back to take a step forward. I have no idea
102 > what the specifics of this situation were, so I can't comment on whether
103 > I agree or disagree with what the council did. However, if a key
104 > contributor to Gentoo is doing more harm than good by driving others
105 > away, then it might be better for them to not be around.
106
107 I purposely avoided making a judgement about that decision. All I wanted
108 to do is to pick in an example from a team you mentioned to highlight
109 the consequences the type of council decisions we're talking about may have.
110
111 > Donnie gave a good talk to this effect:
112 > http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/21519531
113
114 I know his talk and some older talks about the same issue. The type of
115 behaviour at stake is something that in the short term falls under
116 either Developer Relations or User Relations. A discussion about what to
117 do in the long term was started by previous Councils, but a conclusion
118 wasn't reached.
119
120 >> To be clear, I do want the Council to have influence over Gentoo, but I
121 >> don't like the idea of "carte blanche" and therefore am concerned about
122 >> the degree and method by which the council should "leverage" its
123 >> influence.
124 >
125 > Well, are there any alternatives short of the Council being able to do
126 > nothing but ask people nicely to not destroy the distro? I'm fine with
127 > checks and balances, but in the end somebody needs to have the final
128 > say, and I'd rather see that be a body elected by all - either the
129 > trustees or the council.
130
131 I don't have any alternatives yet, but that's what I'd like to find.
132
133 > Maybe there are some ways to address the concern of a runaway council.
134
135 Yes, that may be part of the solution.
136
137 > Rich
140 - --
141 Regards,
142
143 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
144 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections