From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] call for agenda items, council meeting 8/13
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 13:58:41
1 On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 07:02:58AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:35:35 AM EDT Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 >> > On 08/01/2017 01:43 AM, Benda Xu wrote:
5 >> > > Is it feasible to reduce the workload by only stablizing the longterm
6 >> > > supported kernels?
7 >> >
8 >> > On 08/01/2017 12:30 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
9 >> > > I'd suggest taking it further and allowing auto-stabilization of all
10 >> > > point releases whether they're security releases or not.
11 >> >
12 >> > Both of these are also in line with what has previously been [discussed
13 >> > in wg-stable]:
14 >> > --<---------------------------------------------------->--
15 >> > \subsection{Kernel}
16 >> > There should be kernel packages in stable visibility available to end
17 >> > users for \pkg{sys-kernel/gentoo-sources} and other kernel variants
18 >> > referenced in the installation instructions of the handbook, in order
20 >> > ease the configuration for new users.
21 >> >
22 >> > For Kernel stabilisation it is not possible for an arch tester to test
23 >> > all possible configuration and hardware combinations. Other kernel
24 >> > variants, that are expected for more advanced users to begin with,
25 >> > likely does not make sense to stabilise given there the lack of
26 >> > stability guarantees. Restricing the number of stabilised kernels hence
27 >> > aids in reducing arch tester workload.
28 >> >
29 >> > As discussed previously\cite{kernel01,kernel02} a consistent
30 >> > stabilisation policy on kernels is also important in order to ensure
31 >> > that the latest point release is available to end-users in order to
32 >> > ensure that security- and bugfixes are offered. In the experience of
33 the
34 >> > WG the kernel upstream has a strict policy on maintaining backwards
35 >> > compatibility and not breaking userspace which has been proven over
36 time.
37 >> >
38 >> > As such it makes sense to
39 >> > \begin{itemize}
40 >> > \item Stabilise Long Term Stable (LTS) branches once they have been
41 >> > determined to be so and tested downstream
42 >> > \item Have an automatic policy of stabilising new point releases
43 >> > within the LTS
44 >> > \item non-LTS branches should not be stabilised
45 >> > \end{itemize}
46 >> >
47 >> > --<---------------------------------------------------->--
48 >> >
49 >> > References:
50 >> > [discussed in wg-stable]
51 >> > https://download.sumptuouscapital.com/gentoo/wg-stable/main.pdf
52 >>
53 >> So will the council consider ratifying the WG stable suggestions for
54 kernel
55 >> releases?
56 >>
57 >> -Aaron
58 >
59 > Thinking about this more..
60 >
61 > I'm actually OK with what's written in the WG stable suggestion. As
62 > long as this does not imply that we will support every LTS labeled
63 > kernel from upstream.
64 >
65 > Right now we have 8 different versions and back when I started in 2007
66 > we had a policy to only support 2.
67 >
68 > I would still like the Kernel Project to decide which versions to
69 > support and when to drop versions from the tree. We're very flexible
70 > and do respond to user's reasonable requests.
71 >
72 > So, if the kernel section of the WG stable document can be voted on
73 > without the need for the entire document to be blessed please do so.
74 >
75 > Mike
78 As now i'm busy with GSoC and university middle term exams (and are both a
79 full time schedule).
80
81 This topic (of stabilization problems) came out already many time over the
82 past.
83
84 Kernel is a particular project and the kernel team is doing the possible
85 for making it safe and update.
86 The Kernel upstream system is changing ( and probably will change again in
87 the future ) and the Gentoo Kernel Project is keeping up in different way
88 and
89 developing tools for make us keep up with upstream and shorten the time of
90 gentoo-sources packaging and releasing.
91
92 I think with some work (Gentoo kernel CI is still a protype version), we
93 could auto stabilize the Kernel using Gentoo kernel CI.
94 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Kernel/Kernel_CI
95
96 As GSoC project I'm also now making a live patch feature that would be used
97 in gentoo-sources for patching eventual problems (security fix etc. etc.),
98 without the need to require to download the new kernel sources and almost
99 automatically.
100 https://github.com/aliceinwire/elivepatch
101
102 Some arch are complex to stabilize, for example arm32 is not so straight
103 forward as I fought.
104 It need to forward port some patches for make it work (looks like lot of
105 works)
106 https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/odroidxu4-4.9.y
107
108 Because of this arm for example could be just dropped unstable and give as
109 it is for now, but is anyway a complicate topic and
110 would be nice to give more investigation in the future.
111
112 Ultimately I think is the Kernel Project duty to work case by case, and
113 decide which kernel to support and which to drop.
117 Thanks,
118 Alice Ferrazzi
119
120 Gentoo Kernel Project Leader
121 Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
122 PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A