From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: Gentoo <--> Sabayon Relation
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 06:50:05
1 Robert Buchholz wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 2. August 2007 14:29, Steve Long wrote:
3 >> Personally I think ixnay should just become a gentoo dev and have
4 >> sabayon as his own private project (overlay, profile, make.conf)
5 >> within gentoo, while still keeping the bugzilla and forums separate.
6 >> Then he could contribute back to gentoo a lot more effectively.
7 >> [Please don't flame me, I have nfc what the politics are.]
8 >
9 > Gentoo devs will look at bugs that affect Sabayon users when they're
10 > reproducible in vanilla Gentoo environments. If not, how to support
11 > them? This is the same with all other unofficial overlays.
12 >
13 Agreed.
14
15 > As far as making ixnay a developer goes, I rather think he would not
16 > want to do that anyway, especially with his weird ideas to "fork away
17 > from [Gentoo's] bugs" [1] and give Gentoo back to drobbins.
18 >
19 Er i got his nick wrong it's lxnay sorry. Weird ideas don't preclude anyone
20 from contributing do they?
21
22 > Would having him as a developer do any good community wise? I don't
23 > know, but after reading [2, the last paragraphs], my guess is 'no'.
24 >
25 Yeah well I guess that's down to devrel now there are no proctors to react
26 in ml-time. I thought the recruitment process was supposed to take the
27 rough edges off? Not saying that applies to devs who've been around for
28 ages ofc ;) but credit to kloeri for the work he's put in over the last 2
29 years at least. (as well as the other work, and no I don't want to go to
30 Massachussets.. ;)
31
32 I agree lxnay seems a bit brash (from the cursory look around I did earlier
33 on from those links) and, dare I say it, rather young. I don't think
34 anyone's nominating him for Council or anything tho. And he certainly seems
35 to produce code, so why not? (If he were willing, like i say I've never had
36 any contact with the guy.)
37
38 I just think the rumblings of ``let's reclaim Gentoo'' are an unwelcome
39 distraction. Personally I'd like drobbins to come back as a dev and get
40 used to the new setup (with a procmail kill rule for ciaranm ofc) rather
41 than waste everyone's energy with another pointless fork. If drobbins
42 thinks the guy is true to the early spirit of Gentoo, I'll take his word
43 for it.
44
45 ATM sabayon seems like a leeching organisation to me, as I made clear on the
46 forums. It's a shame, when lxnay could just be contributing properly.
47 Although I did read he regularly finds and fixes bugs in ebuilds (and he
48 has never suggested anyone pretend to be running anything but sabayon) it
49 doesn't change my opinion that sabayon is a direct competitor to gentoo,
50 since it isn't pure binary aiui (which would make it an application of
51 gentoo.) Why not just bring it into the fold?
55 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list