From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: A proposal to get out of this mess
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:06:09
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.01.19 23:07, Daniel Butzu wrote:
5 > On 1/19/08, Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >
7 > > For the record: I'd still like drobbins involved, but I don't think
8 > > his terms were at all reasonable, and the way he went about it was
9 > > reprehensible imo. It was designed to cause the furore it did, and
10 > > only makes me give credence to the argument that much of the
11 > > negative press on distrowatch has come from an associate of his. It
12 > > was a totally political move, and not at all motivated by concern
13 > > for Gentoo afaic. If he cared that much, he'd have approached Mr
14 > > Goodyear privately or on the nfplist if he wanted to be "open". Not
15 > > put everyone through all this stress.
19 > Maybe. However, since it caused the furore it did it seems that a lot
20 > of users were unsatisfied. You can't stir up something when there is
21 > nothing to stir up. So maybe we should focus more on our problems
22 > today, since we were unable of doing it yesterday.
23 > --
24 > gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list
29 Daniel,
30
31 If you research the time line you will find posts on -nfp that indicate
32 that the foundation problem was being raised within Gentoo before
33 drobbins infamous blog post.
34
35 As some/all of the assets that were supposed to transfer to the
36 foundation were still owned by drobbins, its likely (this is
37 speculation on my part) that someone was talking to him about
38 completing the transfer. It follows that he knew what was going on with
39 respect to resolving the gentoo foundation issue *before* he made his
40 blog post.
41
42 That backs up what Steve Long is saying.
43
44 Incidently, the Foundation is a peculiarly USA legal device. So its
45 important in the USA only. Its existence (or not) only changes the way
46 Gentoos assets are owned. It does not affect the way the technical part
47 of Gentoo operates. Indeed, as a part of his leaving Gentoo, drobbins
48 set up the council and foundation as separate bodies. Its a bit of a
49 mystery why he needs control of both bodies to resolve what is purely a
50 foundation issue.
51
52 - --
53 Regards,