From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:39:24
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > In short,  --Routine_Appointments, ++Monitoring ++AuthortyToAct
3
4 Not a bad idea. In fact, I'd probably extend this to most areas of
5 Gentoo as well. Some of these threads get a bit Kefka-ish with all
6 the questions raised about whether the Council has the right to do
7 this or that. These kinds of attitudes amount to "if you don't like
8 it, tough - you have no recourse." If Gentoo has a problem we should
9 fix it - not argue over whether anybody is allowed to fix it.
10
11 I'm not a fan either of the council (or trustees) micro-managing
12 things, or not having the ability to step in when things get out of
13 hand. These are elected bodies, and generally have not shown a
14 tendency to heavy-handedness in any case.
15
16 Something Donnie campaigned on also rings true to my ears - we don't
17 need long-standing rules to deal with one-time problems. If a team is
18 out of control, the council should simply step in and fix it, and then
19 let it run its course. The council should be viewed as having
20 authority over the entire developer space, but not as something with
21 day-to-day involvement in everything that goes on.
22
23 Look at how any business runs. When you have a spat with your boss
24 the owner of the company probably doesn't get called in to sort it out
25 - your boss and his boss just deal with it. However, if the owner of
26 the company does happen to walk in and set things straight, you won't
27 find everybody arguing with him about it. We, as the community, are
28 the owners of Gentoo, and we can make of it what we will. However,
29 having a half-dozen elected representatives to deal with serious
30 issues rather than putting everything to referendum just makes sense.
31 That really applies to both the council and the trustees.
32
33 So, if there is a problem to be fixed, I say go fix it. If there
34 isn't a problem, we don't necessarily need to look to create one...
35
36 Rich