From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 08:46:04
1 >>>>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2018, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 >> I don't see how any of this would prevent a committer from adding a
4 >> Signed-off-by line.
5
6 > Here, it just seems like unnecessary fluff, given the committer and the
7 > signed-off-by line should be identical.
8
9 The Signed-off-by line certifies agreement to the Gentoo DCO, whereas
10 the Commit line doesn't have any such meaning. Also the committer info
11 is somewhat transient and can change, e.g. when a branch gets rebased.
12 S-o-b lines won't get lost on a rebase.
13
14 > It makes more sense in the kernel, where patches get formatted with
15 > only author data, and the chain of custody from the border to its final
16 > commit in kernel@ is not necessarily completely obvious.
17
18 There are many commits in Linux that have only a single S-o-b line.
19
20 > Whereas in Gentoo, we don't really have any of those intermediate steps.
21
22 > Its more a question what it seeks to achieve that can't be done with
23 > existing data.
24
25 > Especially considering anyone can trivially forge such a statement
26 > and pretend they committed on somebody elses behalf after receiving a
27 > patch.
28
29 That's why we also require commits to be PGP signed.
30
31 > And I somewhat find the "real names" policy somewhat obnoxious, for as
32 > far as I'm aware, pseudonyms are just as legally binding as real names.
33
34 > Requiring a legal name just excludes people, and well known pseudonymous
35 > authors like "why_" would never participate in such a scheme.
36
37 The real name requirement is nothing new, but a policy that is in
38 effect since 2004 [1,2]:
39
40 | Real names must be provided for all developers, including
41 | infrastructure and documentation. Any exceptions to this for
42 | extenuating circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case
43 | basis. No exceptions will be made for people doing copyrightable
44 | work (ebuilds, software, scripts, documentation, etc.).
45
46 Ulrich
47
48 [1] https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en/devrel/recruiters/index.xml?revision=1.15&view=markup