From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:02:40
On Mar 27, 2012 10:43 PM, "Sven Vermeulen" <swift@g.o> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:50:19AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote: > > 3. New udev and separate /usr partition (30 minutes) > > > > See [4]: "Decide on whether a separate /usr is still a supported > > configuration. If it is, newer udev can not be stabled and > > alternatives should be investigated. If it isn't, a lot of > > documentation will have to be updated. (And an alternative should > > likely still be provided.)" > > Is it truely that much documentation? The handbook doesn't suggest
separate
> /usr anymore (all example partitions use a single / file system), and the > necessary changes to setup an initramfs are being prepared (cfr bugs
related
> to bug #407959). > > There will be some updates in the quickinstall for raid/lvm, but that's > hardly a minor update to the document. > > We might want to provide an initramfs-guide to explain the concepts and
the
> various methods for generating one (as well as debugging), but that too > might not be the most difficult thing out there (there's still time for > that, no)? > > Wkr, > Sven Vermeulen >
Alternatively, suggest using mdev in place of udev. So, there will be 3 options: 1) /usr on the same partition as / -- can use mdev or udev 2) /usr on a separate partition; this leads to : 2a) If one wants to use udev, one must use initramfs 2b) If one does not want to use an initramfs, one must use mdev This will give the user a CHOICE, and that's the essence of Gentoo. Rgds,