From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] [project] Re: Re: EAPI-2 and src_configure in eclasses
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:00:21
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:07:21 +0100
4 > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >> > It's illegal, according to PMS. It also won't work with Paludis,
6 >> > since phase function definitions aren't made available until just
7 >> > before that phase executes (there is a reason for this -- it
8 >> > provides us with a way of identifying whether a package has a
9 >> > particular phase or not).
10 >> >
11 >> That seems a bit implementation-specific; how one alternative package
12 >> manager generates that metadata isn't important (though it does seem
13 >> odd that you think it has to be done at that point) nor should it get
14 >> in the way.
15 >
16 > The whole point of PMS is that it provides a way to avoid relying upon
17 > implementation specific things. There are currently no packages that
18 > rely upon calling phase functions in the wrong place
19 It wasn't about calling it in the wrong place, it was about how you test for
20 whether the ebuild+eclasses provide a function, or use a phase.
21
22 > and there are
23 > good reasons a package manager might want to avoid implementing things
24 > in a way such that doing so is legal, so we don't allow it.
25 >
26 Sure let's keep constraining what the bash side of things can do, as that's
27 nothing to do with the package manager implementation.
28
29 > Also, I don't think it has to be done at that point. I think it's
30 > convenient to do it at that point, and when combined with several other
31 > reasons doing it that way is the best option.
32 >
33 Yes, a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in pure bullsh^W obfuscation is
34 always such fun.
35
36 > Strange how you repeatedly seem to pop up in favour of doing whatever
37 > you think will cause most inconvenience to Paludis, though...
38 >
39 Strange how you think you can read my mind.. I actually think that not
40 providing functions an ebuild might call in a phase, during the actual
41 install, is not such a good way for the mangler to ascertain ahead of time
42 whether or not that phase will be needed, *irrespective* of how any extant
43 implementation does it. But as you always remind me, I don't know enough to
44 comment-- because you say so.
45
46 I actually hesitated to get into that discussion with you. I did so as I
47 wanted to query the design decision. You know, a technical _discussion_..
48 Thanks for reminding me again how incapable of that you are, unless you
49 think there is some political capital to be gained.