From: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Automation: Making package.mask better
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 07:30:27
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Effective-Date: Date the mask goes into effect. This means you can
3 > mask stuff in the future.
4 > Expiration-Date: Date the mask ends. This means you can have masks
5 > that expire after a given time.
6
7 While I do not see a problem with Effective-Date, I do not think
8 Expiration-Date is too good of an idea as it would be quite easy for it
9 to backfire and have a negative effect.
10
11 For example, someone might decide to remove a package from the tree and
12 mask it with an expiration date, but forget to remove the package before
13 the mask expires. Small, careless mistakes like these may lead to much
14 larger problems.
15
16 If this is at all implemented, it must be made *clear* that this should
17 only be used for certain scenarios where it can not become a problem,
18 such as when masking a package with an expiration date of when the
19 package is scheduled to hit the official mirrors. Even then, it can
20 become somewhat of a problem if there is a gap between when the packages
21 should hit the mirrors and when they actually do, as it would result in
22 404 errors.
23
24 While automation of this may lead to things being *slightly* simpler and
25 quicker, it may also lead to problems in the future. It would be much
26 more fool-proof to manually remove masks than to have a feature such as
27 this.
30 David Shakaryan
31 --
32 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list