From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 18:12:38
1 On 23:20 Mon 08 Apr , Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > Hrm. I just meant that package eclasses suck. I hate the fact that they
3 > effectively make stable moot. There is no such thing as a stable keyword for a
4 > package built by an eclass. It's like working without a net. When it's a core
5 > system package it's twice as bad.
6 >
7 > As far as these eclasses go, toolchain is the worst. Yes, it is fragile
8 > and complex. It's over a decade's worth of spaghetti code. It builds 12 years
9 > of gcc releases. It's hairy. Everything depends on everything else, and
10 > everything is based on assumptions and implications that may or may not still
11 > be relevant. Making "obviously" correct changes has often broken something
12 > somewhere else, time and again. I'm not telling you this for some kind of
13 > perverse bragging rights. It's not something to be proud of. I just want you
14 > to understand how easy it is to fuck things up.
15 >
16 > When it breaks, it breaks stable. I absolutely hate breaking stable. I lose
17 > sleep over it.
18
19 You could probably deal with this through much more aggressive bumping
20 of eclass versions in concert with ebuild bumps, followed by eclass
21 freezes once their users go stable.
24 Thanks,
25 Donnie
26