From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 01:10:33
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 14-08-2011 11:12, Markos Chandras wrote:
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > This is the second item I would like to discuss for the next Council
8 > agenda ( or a later one )
9 >
10 > Quite a few of you know that Council acts as a court in case a
11 > developer has unresolved disputes with Devrel or when he is not happy
12 > with a Devrel's decision. The problem is that having the same people
13 > in the Council and in Devrel makes no sense since the same people
14 > will vote twice on that matter. A developer who wants to appeal to
15 > Council, seeks a review of his case and a fresh voting from new
16 > people. However, having devrel members, which are already biased
17 > based on the previous decision, makes the "Council's court role" a
18 > moot role :)
19 >
20 > Again, this is just a brainstorming, so please let me know what you
21 > think.
22
23 Yes, we should have no rules preventing DevRel members from running to
24 and or serve in the Council. Furthermore, to address this type of
25 concerns, in every Council election the table of candidates has a column
26 for DevRel members, current Council members and Trustees[1]. So it's up
27 to the developer community to decide if they want a particular
28 candidate, DevRel member or not, to serve in the Council.
29 Also, the Council serves as an "appeal body"[2], not a "trial court"[3].
30 To address some of the suggestions on this thread, my opinion is that
31 DevRel is the body with disciplinary oversight over developers and that
32 Council should restrict itself to appeals. In my view, by having direct
33 intervention, the Council would limit itself and prevent any chance of
34 an appeal.
35 In addition, "trial by popularity" is always a bad idea and as others
36 have stated, council members are frequently elected for dealing with
37 technical issues and are not or may not have the required skill set to
38 deal with disciplinary issues.
39
40 [1] -
41 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/elections/council/2011/council-201106-nominees.xml
42 [2] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appellate_court
43 [3] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_court
44
45 - --
46 Regards,
47
48 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
49 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng