From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] s/udev/mdev, how to proceed?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:28:51
On 12/04/2011 07:50 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> First of all, apologies if I'm misusing this list. But I -- well, some > Gentoo users, actually -- would really like to replace udev with mdev. > > We're currently fixing the complete procedure to do that, and when all > show-stopping bugs have been ironed out, would like mdev to be an option > for those who no longer want to be held hostage by the whims of udev > upstream. > > We'd very much appreciate any guidance on how to proceed, like who to > contact, what to submit, etc.
It sounds like you're going about it in the right way. I'm guessing you are going to run into issues with desktop-y packages. If you can provide sane fixes or workarounds for these issues, please file bugs with patches. Basically, as long as your changes don't break anything and aren't horribly ugly, I don't think you'll have too much trouble convincing package maintainers to apply them. You may have a harder time convincing the docs team to put it in official documentation (like the handbook). I would suggest using the new wiki[1] to write a how-to or something. [1] http://wiki.gentoo.org